Being a UG member I always try my best to write my learning about each and every UG meet I attend, hence I never thought of missing this one also . I wrote about the topic and about the speaker here. This post will provide links to so many URLs where you will find more about the topics covered as well as you can go through some of the blog written by other members about the topic and about Vinod Kumar.
As decided the UG meet was on 7th April and I was there at Microsoft Building by 10AM. To my surprise already people were there and they were discussing with Vinod Kumar and Lohith, me and Sudeepta(
@skganguly) joined the conversation. I met Pinal Dave ( @pinaldave), Lohith( @kashyapa), VijayRaj( @msigeek) ,Sudeepta( @skganguly), Dr.Pavanaja( @pavanaja), Balmukund( @blakhani) , AmalDev ( @amaldevv) , Kamlesh Rao(@kamleshrao ), Praveen (@stpraveen1 ), Sandeep Pani( @sandippani), Rajesh Patel (@PatelRajeshK ) , Gopal Debta and …. at #ReLiveTechEdIn
Vinod Kumar During the session. A complete DEMO based sessions.
Pinal Dave gave a small presentation on “Who is Vinod” and we all got to know about the achievements and contribution by Vinod for the community till date. Kamlesh Rao twitted saying “A presentation about SQL Server Agent Vinod Kumar by Pinal Dave”. Vinod is more than a Brother, Friend, Philosopher, Sensei, motivator and guru for all.
Lohith addressing the audience
Kaun hai udhar??
Jokes and networking
The session was very much interactive and everyone from audience participated in the discussion. There were lots of Q&A and everyone who gave correct answer got goodies from #Telerik and #Pluralsight. Also Pinal Dave distributed SQL Poster from SQLAuthority to everyone present in the room.
There were lots of goodies and excitement but without much delay Vinod started his session on the topic Sys Internals. Here are some points from the session:
- A full demo on sysinternal tool like PAL, LogMan, VMMap, Process Explorer, Resource monitor.
- It was all about Tools to manage, troubleshoot and diagnose your windows systems.
- Disadvantage of PerfMon is that its difficult to decipher, PAL is an alternative.
- Powershell is used behind the screen to run PAL.
- Logman can convert from one format to another.
- Each process has 4GB and 2GB of that is taken by kernel.
- WOW is Windows on Windows.
- If you see an yellow color in Proc Explorer means its running a .net code.
- Virtual memory is low because the system commit limit (RAM+ page files) has been reached.
- Virtual allocation will happen before physical memory allocation
- GPU Usage
- To know about the processor family on your pc/laptop Goto Run. Type msinfo32 to know about your processor family.
SQL server 2012 changes on Storage, Security, Checkpoint & memory.
Ask Vinod on SQLServer, Intel Architecture and Memory Internals I bet you will be satisfied with the answers. Some point from the session were
- How to change the target recovery time of a SQL Server database in SQL Server 2012 and the default target recovery time is 0
- A checkpoint creates a known good point from which the SQL Server Database Engine can start applying changes contained in the log during recovery after an unexpected shutdown or crash(as told in MSDN).
- Internal checkpoint is different from Indirect Checkpoint
- what is the different between Virtual Size, Private Bytes and Working Set on Process Explorer tool
- what is virtual address & physical address?
- what is cluster and sector?
- What is transaction log used for? Is that get corrupted?
- Can you have more than 8K pages in the buffer pool?
- Is the max. memory setting on your SQL Server accurate?
- What’s a 3GB switch ?
There was a 128bit joke came out from the session. If you have missed it …you have missed it. Don’t miss next time because….
UG Meet teen cheeso se chalta hai Share, Learn and Network ya phir Knowledge, Goodies aur demo.
Be helpful.When you see a person without a smile ,Give him yours.